Bringing Together Conservative Voices

Gunman breaks into Texas home after midnight, so homeowner grabs his own gun and shoots intruder multiple times, killing him

A gunman broke into an east Texas home in the middle of the night over the weekend, but the homeowner was a little smarter and a little faster than the intruder, grabbing his own gun and killing the unwelcome guest with multiple shots.

What are the details?

Erik J. Hicks, 51, of Grand Saline, “unlawfully forced entry” into the Canton home around 12:30 a.m. Saturday, the Tyler Morning Telegraph reported, citing the Canton Police Department.

Hicks was armed with a handgun, KLTV-TV reported, citing a joint investigation by police and the Texas Rangers.

When the homeowner heard Hicks break in, he got his own handgun, police told the Morning Telegraph.

Police said after Hicks entered the residence, he made his way into the living area and confronted the homeowner, after which the homeowner shot him multiple times, the paper said.

Responding officers found the wounded suspect, who was taken to a local hospital and died a short time later, police added to the Morning Telegraph.

The homeowner has not been charged, the paper said, but the case will be referred to the Van Zandt County Grand Jury for review after the investigation concludes.

Hicks’ body was taken to the Southwestern Institute of Forensic Sciences in Dallas for an autopsy, the Morning Telegraph added.

Think twice before doing crime in the Lone Star State

The incident marks at least the fourth time in the last three months that a Texas homeowner defended life and property with a gun:

A female homeowner in March shot a male intruder who refused to leave after breaking into her Longview home. The suspect was arrested after his release from a hospital, and the sheriff said the homeowner’s actions are an “excellent example of the importance of our Second Amendment.”
In April, a mother who was getting ready to take her kids to school shot a stranger multiple times when he refused to obey her repeated orders to leave the front porch of her home in Spring.
A week later, a male intruder broke into a home in San Antonio while a mother and her three children were inside. However, the mom had a gun and shot the intruder dead.