Bringing Together Conservative Voices

Michigan HS closed after 8-10 adult men charge into building past security and fight with students

A high school just outside Detroit, Michigan, was closed Wednesday and will switch to virtual learning for remainder of the week following a shocking incident in which nearly a dozen unidentified adult men charged into the school past security and began fighting with students.

In a notice to parents posted on the school’s Facebook page, Oak Park Schools Superintendent Jamii Hitchcock said the incident took place just before 3 p.m. on Tuesday, when eight to ten unidentified adult males “pushed past security and staff and forced their way into our high school building and began fighting with [Oak Park High School] students and security personnel.”

The superintendent said that staff and security personnel immediately responded to the fight and acted in defense of the students. He added that no weapons were used in the altercation and and that, thankfully, no injuries were reported.

The school reported the incident to the Oak Park Department of Public Safety but by the time officers arrived, the adult male suspects had fled the scene.

The department confirmed to the Detroit Free Press on Wednesday that an investigation is ongoing. Investigators are currently reviewing surveillance footage and conducting witness interviews. So far, one suspect has been identified but no arrests have been made.

District officials believe the fight was triggered by a separate altercation that took place outside school over the weekend, but details remain scarce.

“At Oak Park Schools, violence of any kind will not be tolerated,” Hitchcock insisted in the notice. “We are making every effort to identify those who trespassed on school property, entered our building, and instigated violence against our students and staff. We plan to prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law.”

The district leader added that he has requested additional law enforcement to be present at the high school and is exploring additional security measures.

He also implored anyone who has information about the incident to contact the police department.


Oak Park High School closed Wednesday following Tuesday afternoon fight

www.youtube.com

One parent commenting on the district’s Facebook notice said, “I live in Oak Park, and I’m glad none of my kids attend this sorry school district.”

“I know, it sucks. They need police to be the security guards at this point,” another commenter added.

Video of the wild brawl has yet to be released to the public.